Tuesday, February 21, 2006

I Don't Watch TV on Mondays.

Tuesday is my TV night. Gilmore Girls, followed by House. However, I was informed last night that House was on at 8pm. And a new episode! And what an episode it was. Hugh Laurie is my newest secret boyfriend. Forget the other young guys, Hugh Laurie is where it's at.

Anyway, at the end of the show, there was this song that I immediately fell in love with. It turns out I'm a sucker for heart-wrenching, haunting acoustic tunes that put the listener into an immediate depression about the state of their love lives and make one reflect on all past bad boyfriends who would've been lovers for life if not for their fatal flaw of a) not living up to their potential, b) not being over their ex, c) still being with the ex, d) emotionally unavailable in some other way, etc, etc, etc. So, obviously, I went looking for the song immediately. It's called "Desire" by Ryan Adams (not Bryan) and it's terrif. Even reading the lyrics make me feel slightly blue, so of course I'll reproduce them here for YOU! that rhymed! Did you notice? It totally rhymed!

Two hearts fading, like a flower.
And all this waiting, for the power.
For some answer, to this fire.
Sinking slowly. The water’s higher.
Desire

With no secrets. No obsession.
This time I'm speeding with no direction.
Without a reason. What is this fire?
Burning slowly. My one and only.
Desire

You know me. You don't mind waiting.
You just can't show me, but God I'm praying,
That you'll find me, and that you'll see me,
That you run and never tire.
Desire
(from 2002 CD, "Demolition")

I'm thinking, in order to avoid this sort of thing, I should not watch TV on Mondays.

In Other News...
I have new pants on today. Yay!

I have a copy of the "Fraser Forum", the publication of the Fraser Institute. You know who works there? Mike Harris. So clearly, I will read through this magazine (the headline of which is "Priorities for a New Government: Federal Medicine for Medicare, Repositioning Canadian-American Relations, Child Care Choices and other Crap" - that last part was me) and report on it faithfully. Heh. On the cover, there is a very attractive white woman who is meant to be a new mother with a cute white baby.

Obvious Conclusion: Conservatives don't live in the real Canada.

K, I have some stuff to do. Adios!

Tralalalala, that's it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"It turns out I'm a sucker for heart-wrenching, haunting acoustic tunes that put the listener into an immediate depression about the state of their love lives and make one reflect on all past bad boyfriends who would've been lovers for life if not for their fatal flaw of a) not living up to their potential, b) not being over their ex, c) still being with the ex, d) emotionally unavailable in some other way, etc, etc, etc. So, obviously, I went looking for the song immediately."

What came first? The music or the misery? People worry about kids
playing with guns and watching violent videos, we're scared that some sort of culture of violence is taking them over...

But nobody worries about kids listening to thousands -- literally thousands -- of songs about broken hearts and rejection and pain and misery and loss. Do we listen to pop music because we are miserable, or are we miserable because we listen to pop music?

-High Fidelity -

Lucky

11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home